Local Treatments for Pollen Allergy and Hay Fever
Vaseline (Petroleum jelly)
Protect yourself outdoors with a 'pollen trap'! You can coat the inside of your nose with Vaseline
and the sticky layer will trap spores, pollens, dust etc. before you inhale them. It stops immediately the irritation in your nose.
Nasal irrigation or nasal wash
A regular use of nasal irrigation
with a neti pot
or just the use of saline nasal spray
can help a lot fighting hay fever symptoms. You just rinse off all the irritant air-born pollens, fungal spores, dust and animal dander.
If you are not allergic to herbs, your irritated allergy eye will find this herbal eyewash very soothing:
Herbal eyewash for eye allergies
- 1 teaspoon dried marigold (Calendula officinalis) flowers
- 1 teaspoon dried eyebright (Euphrasia officinalis) flowers
- 1 teaspoon dried camomile (Matricaria recutita) flowers
Pour 250ml boiling water over the herbs. Cover, and steep for a quarter of an hour. Strain through a coffee filter to remove all herb particles. Use as an eyewash or soak cotton balls in the herbal tea and apply to your allergy eyes at least three times a day for ten minutes. Caution: Make sure you are not allergic to any ingredient herbs!
If you do not have the time to make the herbal tea put just a wet camomile teabag onto your allergy eye.
Homeopathy for Pollen Allergy and Hay Fever
Homeopathy offers a wide range of remedies helpful in different allergy conditions, like seasonal allergy etc. Most of them needs individualization of symptoms, but there are a few remedies good for hay fever as a general diagnosis.
One of them is Histaminum C30
, potentized histamine, which is released in great amount during the allergic reaction. Homeopathic Histaminum is able to decrease the release and the effect of material histamine.
Other useful option is to take your allergen potentized, in a homeopathic form which can desensitize your body (the method is called isopathy).
- If you are allergic to pollens, have a pollen allergy, take homeopathic Pollen C30, made from local pollens in your neighbourhood. Start taking it 1 month prior the hay fever season (two times a week) and continue during the whole season, taking it daily.
- If you are sensitive to dust mites, take regularly homeopathic House Dust Mite C30.
- If you are allergic to mold, take the homeopathic remedy Aspergillus niger C30, which is made from the fungi.
- If you are sensitive to certain animal hair (cat or dog or horse etc.) than take a remedy made from this special animals fur.
Take this remedies 2-3 times a week, long term.
During the hay fever season you may take:
- Histaminum C30 in the morning and
- Pollen C30 in the evening.
Let dissolve 2-3 pills under your tongue and do not eat or drink 10 minutes before and after taking the remedy.
Read more about natural allergy remedies.
Find more information about allergy treatment
General Tips for Pollen Allergy Sufferers
- When you have to go out, wear wraparound sunglasses to keep pollens away from your eyes.
- Wash your hair before going to bed, so you do not transfer a head full of dust and pollen to your pillow.
- Stay indoors and keep the windows closed early in the morning and late in the evening, when pollen concentration is the highest. Shelter indoors during strong wind, since the wind stirs up all the settled pollens.
- Fit your car with pollen filter and keep the windows closed when traveling.
- Do not dry outdoors your bed-clothes, since they work like a pollen trap.