Home Remedies for Yeast Infection
Vaginal yeast infection is very common, so home remedies for yeast infection are increasingly popular. Three-quarters of all women will get vaginal yeast infection at some stage in their lives. Although the lucky ones only suffer one attack of, many get it several times a year. While thrush is not life-threatening, it can cause a lot of distress.
Lear more about yeast infection in general: Natural Remedies for Yeast Infection
Fact about vaginal yeast infection:
- Thrush is not a sexually transmitted disease. It is important to differentiate from other vaginal infections.
Possible cause of yeast infection:
- Women may be more susceptible to vaginal yeast infection if they are pregnant, or have diabetes.
- The use of antibiotics or birth control pills can promote Candida infections. So can frequent douching.
Sign and symptom of yeast infection:
- Itching and/or soreness in and around the entrance to the vagina. Vaginal itching.
- Thick, whitish vaginal discharge with a texture like soft or cottage cheese. Vaginal discharge does not smell unpleasant.
- Burning discomfort around the vaginal opening, especially if urine touches the area.
- Swelling of the labia.
- Pain or discomfort during sexual intercourse.
Home remedy for yeast infection
The most proven and safest yeast infection treatment is the old remedy Boric Acid
. Boric Acid has antifungal and antiviral properties and helps to restore the acidic pH of the vagina which is unfriendly for the yeasts. You can by it in the Pharmacy. You may use it on different ways, as a sitz bath or as a vaginal suppository but NEVER INGEST it, since it is toxic for internal use.
BORIC ACID SITZ BATH
- Fill a sitz bath with warm water,
- dissolve two tsp Boric Acid in a cup of boiling water,
- dump it in the water along with about a 1/3 cup witch hazel (optional).
- Sit for 10-15 minutes and do that for about a week (until infection is gone).
You can make a sitz bath also in the bath tub:
- Fill the bath tub with slightly hot water about 2 inches deep.
- Dissolve 1/2 cup of Boric Acid in some boiling water
- and dump it in the water.
- Sit for 10-15 minutes every night until infection is gone (for about a week).
BORIC ACID VAGINAL SUPPOSITORIES
A very effective way of treating vaginal yeast infection is using a Boric Acid Suppository. Either you can by it (order through Amazon) or make your own by filling the powder into a capsule:
- Buy Boric Acid powder in the pharmacy.
- Buy size 00 gelatin capsules in a drugstore (drugstore.com online).
- Fill some Boric Acid powder into two size 00 gelatin capsules.
- Insert one or two capsules with your clean fingers as far up as you can into the vagina.
- Use it straight every night for a full week, then stapper it every other nights, then after a week of that, stapper it every two nights, etc. until you do not use it at all.
Any time you feel yeast infection coming on, put a capsule in for 3-4 nights.
To prevent a recurrent yeast infection Boric Acid Vaginal Suppository can be used twice a week for 6 months.
DO NOT use vaginal Boric Acid treatment if you are pregnant!
YOGHURT, LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS
The external use of plain (no-sugar), live (acidophilus-cultured) YOGHURT
is a very good natural cure for yeast infection since it helps to restore the normal vaginal flora. ACIDOPHILUS
tablets are also good preventatives for getting a yeast infection, since they support the healthy native bacteria in the vagina. Often they are able to cure lighter yeast infections.
You can use them during pregnancy.
YOGHURT tampon or pad or vaginal rinse
- Dip a tampon in live, natural yoghurt and insert it into the vagina for 4-5 hours.
- You can also spread some live, natural yoghurt on a sanitary towel and wear it for a few hours.
- It is a bit messy, but very effective to insert into the vagina 2tsp (10ml) live yoghurt with a vaginal syringe for 7 days straight at bedtime. The yoghurt flows out slowly, but a thin layer remains on the vaginal wall. Wear sanitary pads if using this method.
LACTOBACILLUS ACIDOPHILUS vaginal suppository
Acidophilus tablets or other Probiotics are very effective tools in fighting a Candida yeast infection. They are outstanding dietary supplements both in preventing and healing Candidiasis. You may use Acidophilus capsules as vaginal suppositories as well.
- Insert one freeze dried Lactobacillus acidophilus capsule into the vagina in the morning and one in the evening for the first day. For the following 10 days, insert only one capsule at night. The capsule will dissolve during the night.
AROMATHERAPY for vaginal yeast infection
We know several essential oils which have anti-fungal properties:
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
- Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha)
- Patchouli (Pogostemon patchouli)
- Tagates (Tagates glandulifera)
- Tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia)
- Thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
Use any of the oils ONLY diluted as a bath or a compress. Lavender can also be used as a massage oil for the abdominal area.
Some sources suggest using DILUTED (1 drop in 1tsp of water) tea tree or any other anti-fungal oil onto a tampon and inserting into the vagina, but be careful! You can be allergic to special essential oils and it can irritate the mucous membrane!! Use the oil only, if you are sure it is safe. Leave the oily tampon in the vagina for no longer than 4 hours and repeat twice a day.
A good method of use is to mix a few drops of the essential oil in 50g of live acidophilus-cultured, plain yogurt and to keep it refrigerated. Smooth a thin layer of the yoghurt mix
onto a sanitary towel
and wear. Do this for a week every morning.
DO NOT use essential oils if you are pregnant!
It is very useful to accompany the external yeast infection treatment with internal remedies like Homeopathy, Probiotics, Herbal and Dietary Supplements.
HOMEOPATHY for vaginal yeast infection
Homeopathy is one of the most effective complementary methods. It is very powerful in the Candida treatment as well.
- Candida albicans C30 in the morning and
- Kreosotum C30 in the evening for 7 days.
Take 3 pills at once, let them dissolve under your tongue and do not eat or drink prior and after taking the remedy for 10 minutes.
HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS for vaginal yeast infection
Grapefruit seed extract
Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi) possesses antimicrobal properties: it has powerful anti-bacterial, anti-viral anti-fungal activity. It has been used with very good result in the internal treatment of Candida infections.
- Capsules (125mg). Take 1 capsule twice a day for the first three days, then 1 capsule three times a day for the next seven days and finally 2 capsules twice a day for the next 10 days, until the fungal infection is gone.
- Liquid Seed Extract, concentrate. Take 4-12 drops in a cup of water or fruit juice for two weeks, until the candida infection is over.
Garlic has been used since Biblical times for treating infections. Garlic has both antiseptic and immune stimulant effects.
It is most effective if crushed and eaten raw. If you do not fancy the idea of munching a whole clove, use garlic supplements capsules, ta
blets or tincture.
In case of candida infection take 1000mg garlic supplement a day for a week. It may combat yeast infection alone, without using any other candida treatment.
Caution: Garlic is a natural blood thinner, might cause bleedings in sensitive persons. Do not take garlic, if you take blood thinner medicines.
Some people just love garlic and they use 1 soft gel garlic capsule for the night into the vagina for 1 week. Make sure it does not irritate your sensitive vaginal mucous membrane.
Birth control pill makes you more susceptible to yeast infections. Some get recurrent candida infections during the usage of contraceptive pills. In that case it is wise to give up the pill and use other birth control methods. Giving up the pill is good for your health anyway.
Starve the fungi, avoiding sugars, alcohol, refined foods, junk
and preserved food
, which feed the Candida albicans organism.
, at least two whole cloves a day. Eat a good portion of live, plain (no sugar) yoghurt
daily, to maintain the balance of beneficial probiotic bacteria in the gut, which help to prevent the spread of Candida infection. All the B vitamins
are important too, eat wholemeal bread, brown rice, sunflower seeds, lentils. Get extra zinc
from eggs, sardines, pumpkin seeds.
Vitamin B komplex, zinc and selen dietary supplements are also useful in the yeast infection cure.
Prevention of vaginal yeast infection:
While there is no simple solution to prevent thrush, there are a number of things you can do to prevent getting it so frequently.
- Avoid wearing tights, underwear not made of cotton, leggings, Lycra shorts and tight jeans or trousers. Do not wear underpants at night.
- Wash and wipe the genital area from front to back. This may help prevent getting bacteria and yeast from the rectal area into the vagina. You can wet a couple of clean cotton wool balls in water and use to wipe once and then throw them away.
- Use sanitary pads rather than tampons during a period.
- Avoid perfumed soaps, genital sprays, coloured or perfumed toilet paper, deodorant pads or tampons, bubble baths and any other irritants such as disinfectants.
- Use intim soaps with acidic pH on the genital area.
- Change your laundry detergent or fabric softener if you think it may be irritating your genital area.
- Avoid hot tubs.
- Do not douche.
- Bath or shower daily and pat your genital area dry.
- If prescribed an antibiotic, remind your doctor that you tend to get thrush. If the antibiotic course is essential, start taking Probiotic supplements, eat plenty of garlic and use live yoghurt or Lactobacillus acidophilus capsules into the vagina as preventives.
When should I call the doctor?
If you are a woman who has been treated for vaginal yeast infections before, you are probably familiar with the yeast infection symptoms and can treat them on your own. Otherwise, always see a doctor to rule out other vaginal infection, such as a sexually transmitted disease. You should also get medical advice if you have an unpleasant or bloody discharge, which smells strongly or have symptoms that have not cleared up after a week of yeast infection treatment.