Have you ever experienced the excruciating pain of an ear infection? You must be interested in my home remedies for earache collection then.
There are two common causes of ear pain:
- infection and inflammation of the middle ear (otitis media) particularly common in young children with severe, intense pain, raised temperature and hearing loss
- other common cause of earache is the inflammation of the outer ear canal (otitis externa); pain may be accompanied by irritation, itching in the ear canal and sometimes by discharge
The distinction between the two disorders is not so easy under home circumstances, you can never be sure whether your (or your child's) ear drum is punctured or not.
Therefore the best is, if you don't put or drop anything into the ear canal!
USE ALL my suggested home remedies OUTSIDE and ABOUT THE EAR. Never put anything deep into the ear!
Learn more about the symptoms and causes of ear pain.
Simple earache (initial stages of inflammation) will generally resolve within 24 hours, but if persists seek professional help. Do not delay treatment, especially in children!
Let's see now the home remedies for ear infection:My easiest, absolutely safe and well proved home herbal remedy, actually a kitchen remedy is:
The Chopped Onion (Allium cepa) Bag
- Cut a middle-sized raw cooking onion into small pieces and stuff them into a small, thin, children cotton sock.
- Warm it up (with a blow dryer) to body temperature.
- Place a cotton wool swab on the aperture of the ear.
- Fasten the warm onion bag to the painful ear with a woolen scarf or hat. (Use only natural materials, like cotton, wool, flax or silk.)
- Leave the compress on about 30 minutes (depending on personal sensitivity) and use it 2-3 times a day (but always chop a new, fresh onion.)
As smelly as effective it is. It can cope with severe ear pain and beginning stages of middle ear infection.
Another good, but stinky option is:
Garlic (Allium sativa) Oil Drop
It can be as effective as onion bag and useful for outer ear canal infections and inflammations as well.
In case of itching, burning or any type of inconvenience remove the oily cotton wool immediately.
NEVER drop essential oil or raw garlic juice into the ear canal!!
- Put a drop of warm garlic oil e.g. from a capsule on a cotton wool swab and place it like a plug in the opening of the ear.
- Leave it for 30-40 minutes in the ear and use it several times a day.
You can make garlic warm infused oil by yourself:
Mince one large bulb fresh garlic and put in the top of a double boiler. Pour in enough olive oil to cover the garlic and warm gently for an hour. Cool, strain through a muslin or cheesecloth and keep in a sealed bottle in the fridge. But warm it in a spoon over a candle until it is comfortably warm if you use it for your ears. You can use it on your salads as well, it's delicious.
Learn more home, herbal remedies
If you or your child hate the smell of onion or garlic, another useful choice is:
Mullein (Aaron's rod, Verbascum thapsus) OilUse a few drops of infused mullein oil on a cotton wool swab and insert it into the ear. It can cope with milder pains.
It is really simple to make mullein cold infused oil:
- fill a clear glass jar with the dried or fresh mullein flowers (ca.30g)
- cover with 1 cup of olive or sesame oil and fill the jar almost to the top
- cover the top of the jar as tightly as you can to exclude the air which can quickly turn the oil rancid
- leave the jar on a warm and sunny place (windowsill) for 2 or 3 weeks shaking it daily
- strain the oil through a wine press or jelly bag
- wring out all the oil
- pour the liquid into a clean glass container, close airtight and use it for at least one year or often more
Read about proper ear care.
NEVER FORGET to UNBLOCK the NOSE! The simplest and safest way is by seawater nose-spray or salt water solution. Put some sea salt into a tablespoon of tap water, it should taste like tears. Your nose drops are ready!
Learn about home remedies for acne...
And now, my favorites, the Homeopathic Medicines!My best, nearly always working, remedy combination for ear infection (I often suggest it on the phone):
2-3 pills every two hours alternately for one day. (Let the pills dissolve under the tongue. Don't eat or drink 5 minutes before and after taking the remedy.)
You can use the internal homeopathic medication in combination with the external compresses and oils.
- Belladonna C12
- Ferrum-phosphoricum C12
If symptoms persist after one day, consult a homeopath or a doctor!
Learn more homeopathic remedies for ear pain.
Have you ever heard about aromatherapy for ear infection?
Aromatherapy is an amazing world full of overpowering fragrances. It has a well deserved place in the healing of ear pain.
A highly soothing and painkilling choice is:
Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) essential oil
Put a drop of lavender oil on some cotton wool, then make a plug to place in the opening of the ear. The healing fumes of the lavender pass into the ear canal and have antibacterial and antiviral properties. You can leave it in the ear for the whole night, or for several hours. Probably it makes you or your child sleepy. Don't bother it a good sleep is the best medicine!
You may use the same way a drop of the calming and antiseptic:
Roman camomile (Anthemis nobilis) essential oil
Another option is to make a warm compress of camomile oil on the side of the face.
Massage oils for ear infection:
- Massage around the ear with 1 drop of camomile oil in 5ml/1tsp olive oil for 10 minutes several times a day.
- Massage the mastoid bone (behind the ear) with a mixture of 2 drops each of lavender and tea tree oil in 5ml/1tsp of olive oil for 10 minutes 3 or 4 times a day.
Learn about appropriate home ear wax removal.
Useful diet tips:Avoid dairy products (cow's milk, butter, cheese, yogurt...) and sugar during middle ear infection, because they increase the mucus production.
Ear Infection Symptoms
Ear infection symptom mostly depends on the cause of the ear pain.
Home Remedy for Ear Infection
Haven't find an appropriate home remedy for ear infection yet? Are you interested in more home and herbal remedies for earache?
A few simple steps of ear care can keep you from having to worry about aching ears or swimmers ear.
Here you can find more home remedies for ear pain, especially my favorites the homeopathic remedies for earache.
Ear Wax Removal
There are several suggested home remedies for ear wax removal, but some of them are quite dangerous. Follow my instructions for a safe and effective earwax removal.
Copyright © 2007-2013 Christinas-Home-Remedies.com All Rights Reserved
|This site is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. If you feel that you have a health problem, you should seek the advice of your Physician or health care Practitioner.