Ear Infection Symptom
and about the causes of ear pain
Ear infection symptom mostly depends on the cause of the ear pain.
Earache is usually caused by middle ear or outer ear canal infection, which have slightly different symptoms:
- infection and inflammation of the middle ear (otitis media) particularly common in young children with severe, intense pain in the ear, raised temperature and hearing loss (may be discharge from the ear canal)
- another usual cause of earache is the inflammation of the outer ear canal (otitis externa or swimmers ear); pain may be accompanied by irritation, itching in the ear canal and sometimes by discharge.
Adults suffer more frequently from otitis externa and less from otitis media but the symptoms are nearly the same as in children.
Learn about safe ear wax removal.
Since ear infection symptom depends mainly on the cause of ear pain it is useful to have a good overlook about ear problem.
Are you interested in all the possible causes and symptoms of earache? Have a look at my summary about the cause of ear pain.
Middle ear (cavity between the eardrum and the inner ear) inflammation is generally caused by an infection of bacteria or viruses. These spread via the Eustachian tubes to infect the middle ear. (The Eustachian tube links the back of the throat to the middle ear) It mainly affects young children and is accompanied by fever and intense pain. Often it accompanies cold, sore throat and cough.
- Less common cause for middle ear inflammation are allergies (hay fever or nutritional allergies).
Learn about home remedies for ear infection
EXTERNAL (OUTER) EAR
- Inflammation of outer ear canal is often a result of an infection by bacteria, viruses or fungus. It is quite common among swimmers as moisture in the ear can encourage infection (swimmer's ear). The lining of the ear canal is very thin and easily damaged and infected by scratching or cleaning (by cotton bud) overenthusiastically. Rarely a herpes simplex infection (cold sores) or shingles (herpes zoster) can cause blisters with persisting pain.
- Dermatological problems like boil or neurodermitis (eczema) of the outer ear may cause pain, itching and discharging.
- Blockage of ear wax can cause a feeling of blockage, itchiness, mild inflammation and pain, sometimes hearing loss.
Read about proper ear care.
REFERRED PAIN (Radiation)
(A mostly intermittent earache may hail from a disorder in a nearby structure)
- Dental problems: teething, tooth decay, caries etc.
- Temporomandibular joint disorder
- Tumors (e.g. throat cancer)
- Neck muscle ache
- Trigeminal neuralgia
earn about homeopathic remedies for ear problems
Setting up the correct diagnosis is the task of a medical specialist
Home Remedy for Ear Infection
Haven't find an appropriate home remedy for ear infection yet? Are you interested in more home and herbal remedies for earache?
A few simple steps of ear care can keep you from having to worry about aching ears or swimmers ear.
Here you can find more home remedies for ear pain, especially my favorites the homeopathic remedies for earache.
Ear Wax Removal
There are several suggested home remedies for ear wax removal, but some of them are quite dangerous. Follow my instructions for a safe and effective earwax removal.
Copyright © 2007-2013 Christinas-Home-Remedies.com All Rights Reserved
|This site is designed for educational purposes only and is not engaged in rendering medical advice or professional services. If you feel that you have a health problem, you should seek the advice of your Physician or health care Practitioner.